Judaism is approximately 4.000 years old, hence, it is completely normal that they have a wide range of religious symbols, items, and motifs. Most of these symbols are commonly incorporated into the design of Jewish jewelry. But, do you really know the significance behind the most traditional Jewish ornaments?
If you want to purchase accessories that feature Jewish themes, you should first learn the meaning behind those pieces. And, this is exactly what this article can help you with. The text below is going to feature the most common motifs on Jewish jewelry pieces, as well as the meaning behind them. Let’s take a closer look at the article:
“The Star of David” – All Ornament Types
You might not know some other motifs on this list, however, you probably did see or at least hear about this most famous star that is featured on the flag of Israel – The Star of David. It is also commonly described as “Magen David” or “The Shield of David”, and it is believed that it came from the shield of King David. But, there is no concrete evidence that this is true.
Although there are various assumptions and metaphorical meanings behind this motif, the exact definition, and importance behind the 2 tangled triangles are not known. If you want the accessory to feature this star, you are lucky, especially since there are various necklaces, earrings, bracelets, and rings that you can opt for.
“A Mezuzah” – Pendants And Lockets
Jewish families often place a Mezuzah on the left side of their doors, and it serves as a constant reminder that God is always present in their daily lives. Now, you might be wondering – what is it exactly? Well, simply said, it is a piece of paper that features handwritten verses for the Torah.
This motif is one that is quite popular and strong, especially since it offers protection to Israeli people, hence, it is commonly used as a theme for accessories, particularly pendants and lockets. There are various ones you can choose from, and if you want to see some examples of what you can choose, you can check this out for more info.
“Shema Yisrael” – Earrings
In order for you to understand this motif, you first need to learn the definition of the 2 words. “Shema” is a Hebrew term that translates to “hear”, while “Yisrael”, is translated to “Israel”. Once you combine the two words, you get “Hear, Israel…” which is how a part of the Holy Book begins. The portion of the book features a prayer that people recite two times each day.
There is basically thousands of version, designs, colors, and jewelry pieces that you can get with this symbol at judaicawebstore.com, which means that you’ll definitely find something that fit a particular style. Additionally, the prayer is often written in the previously mentioned mezuzah, hence, you can choose to purchase both pieces and create a meaningful present.
“The Menorah” – Bracelets And Pendants
A menorah is a ritual object used by all traditional Jewish families during the 8 days of Hanukkah. It has seven places for seven candles, and it refers to a period after Israelis overcame the emigration from Egypt. It was also used later on in the wild and of course, in various temples across Israel.
Before “The Star of David” emerged and became a staple of the country, the menorah used to hold that place. But, nonetheless, it is still commonly used in this country and religion. It is featured on all types of jewelry, however, they can most commonly be found on lockets and earrings.
“Ani Le Dodi” – Bracelets And Rings
The expression “Ani Le’ Dodi Be’ Dodi Li” comes from a book titled the Song of Solomon. It can be translated to “I am my beloved’s and my beloved is mine”, which makes it a perfect gift for anniversaries, wedding day, and birthdays. It is possibly the most traditional expression used for manufacturing rings for engagements and weddings.
Since there are a lot of words, it is best if you opt for a ring or bracelets, especially if you want the piece to feature the entire expression. Naturally, you will find it in various designs, colors, and sizes, and of course, the jewelry is produced from various metals including gold, silver, and stainless steel.
“A Dove” – Pendants And Earrings
By now, you are probably familiar with the tale of Noah’s arch, and if so, then you also know about the famous flood that almost ended the entire Earth. Since then, the dove has remained a figure of hope, faith, and harmony. A lot of people in Israel embrace this gentle symbol as a way to express optimism and hopes for a better future.
However, there is one thing that you should keep in mind. The dove is often fused with other Jewish themes like the Star of David, the Hamsa, or the Mezuzah, hence, do not be confused if you see it in various motif combinations. It is usually gifted to and worn by women, especially since it usually includes other details such as gemstones or zirconium.
“Hamsa” – Earrings, Lockets, And Bracelets
When translated, “Hamsa” means “5”. It is a symbol that is formed like a hand and it is incredibly significant for Muslims, Jews, and a lot of Christians. You can see this all over the world, especially in North Africa and some Middle Eastern countries, and it is believed that it can get rid of the evil eye. It also serves as a protection charm for the wearer.
It is often introduced as a lucky talisman and it can be mixed with other Jewish symbols, hence, do not be surprised if you see it with an eye, star, or chai. It comes in various shapes and designs, and it can also be found on other religious items as well – which is kind of normal, especially since it is lucky.
So, there you have it. The symbols mentioned above are some of the most popular ones featured on jewelry of all types. Hence, now that you know what you can opt for, as well as the meaning behind a specific piece, do not waste any more time. Instead, start searching for a jewelry piece that will suit your needs perfectly.
- Hebrew Shema Israel prayer bracelet
- Deuteronomy 6:4, the words from the bible are transformed into modern-day fashionable jewelry, designed to be worn close to your heart and soul. A comforting and meaningful religious pendant.
- Made from solid sterling silver the pendant measures 1/2" and is worn on a standard 6.5" bracelet chain with a 1.25" extender.
- Faith-based, inspirational and uplifting religious charm. The biblical words read "Hear O'Israel, the Lord is Our G-d, the Lord is One.”
- A lovely gift of choice for a birthday, bat mitzvah, Hanukkah, Christmas, confirmation, healing and so much more
- Chai Hebrew letter symbolic charm in sterling 925 silver
- Charm measures 1/2” x 3/8" and is strung on a 16” rolo chain, with a 2" extender.
- The combination of two Hebrew letters chet and yud represent LIFE. It’s discreet and dainty in size, uplifting and full of blessings--wishing you a life full of happiness and good health.
- It is the perfect Jewish jewelry piece and ideal for new baby gifts, Bat Mitzvah presents, graduation gifts, healing presents and Hanukkah gifts.
- Founded in 1996 by a mother-daughter team who were searching for faith-based and spiritual jewelry that was also fashionable. We understand the desire to wear beautiful jewelry that also makes a long-lasting style statement regardless of the cost.
- 30pcs Hamasa hand Charms(10pcs for each color,antique bronze,antique silver,KC golden).
- Material:lead and cadmium free Zinc alloy with plating treatment.
- Size:24*35mm;weight:3.7g per piece.
- Perfect for handcraft works, necklace bracelet pendant drop, jewelry making accessories
- Perfect DIY gift for Christmas Xmas Halloween Birthday for your friends lover and yourself
- Women's pendant necklaces for women are made of high quality alloy,Color retention, no fading
- Woman pendant Necklace Adjustable size.
- Perfectly suit for party, casual wearing and any occasions.
- Chic woman necklace jewelry for women and girls. It is suitable for any occasions.
- Brand New. If you want to Refund, Please keep the drops and my products new. Two conditions that you cannot refund are listed as follow: 1. Product is used or damaged. 2, The drop is damaged.
- PRODUCT DETAILS- Unique Kabbalah ring for women and men, 925 sterling silver-plated brass open adjustable ring, Unique religious Spiritual Jewish Hebrew Judaica jewelry, Unisex ring engraved with blessing for abundance, healing, and protection against the evil eye, Anniversary Gift for wife or husband, Handmade in Israel by Hallel Jewelry.
- MATERIALS - 925 sterling silver-plated brass.
- MEASUREMENTS - The width of the ring is 0.43 inches (1.09 cm) and it can be adjusted to any finger size.
- PACKAGING - Your gift-wrapped jewelry will arrive with a special explanation regarding the relevant text, both in Hebrew and English. The product comes wrapped in plastic wrap to protect it from weather and storage hazards. On the box, there is a small bookmark, a little gift from me.
- HANDMADE - All of Hallel Jewelry designs are handmade in Israel with love and passion, You are more than welcome to visit my shop for more jewelry designs. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or requests.
- Waxed cotton string - choose your color
- Wraps around your wrist 3 times
- Bar: 24K gold plated brass / Silver plated
- Bracelet length 19.7" / 50cm
- Arrive with 1.2" / 3cm extension chain
- FASHION MEETS FAITH: ★ Jewish chai religious necklace designed to be worn close to your heart and soul.
- QUALITY AND STYLE: ★ A CHAI is a symbolic charm in sterling silver measures 3/8" x 1/4” and is strung on a 16” rolo chain with 2" extender.
- KEEPSAKE: ★The combination of two Hebrew letters, chet & yud, represent lfe. It’s discreet and dainty in size, uplifting and full of blessings--wishing you a life full of happiness and good health. It is the perfect Jewish jewelry piece.
- CREATORS: ★ Founded in 1996 by a mother-daughter team who were searching for faith-based and spiritual jewelry that was also fashionable. We understand the desire to wear beautiful jewelry that also makes a long-lasting style statement regardless of the cost.
- WARRANTY: ★ We promise your purchase will delight you for years to come. If you're not 100% in love with your Alef Bet Jewelry purchase simply return it for a full money back refund. We offer one year repairs on defects or damages.
- Handmade Star of David necklace for men
- Custom cord color (choose color from the dropdown menu)
- Custom size (choose size from the dropdown menu)
- Comes in a cute gift box, ready for gift giving
- Gift for men