There are several different ways to set up a home recording studio. This could be very challenging and paralyzing for those new to home recording. However, knowing what basic and the essential equipment you require can make set up a lot easier because the truth is that most people are of the belief that you need a really huge budget to set up a studio.
Well, that’s correct if you are setting up a standard, commercial studio. But then, to configure your decent home studio, you don’t have to break the bank. You do not have to get frustrated or confused about the things you need to get started.
This article will highlight the basic and essential things you require and some of these things you already have. With the following items below, you can setup a simple home studio for anyone new to home recording.
- A decent computer
- DAW (digital audio workstation)
- Audio interface
- Quality Microphone(s)
- Studio monitor speakers
- Pop filter
- Mic stand
1. A decent computer
You probably already own a computer. But if you are thinking of getting a separate computer from your personal one, then you can pick from these options:
Mac, PC desktop or laptop; anyone is good, it’s all about choice. The most important thing is to go for that one you find more convenient and feel more comfortable working with. You should try to get as much RAM as possible because this will definitely make recording much easier and faster.
2. DAW (digital audio workstation)
This is a program/software used for recording, editing, and sometimes mixing and mastering music on your computer. There are so many options you can pick from like; audition, sonar, Cubase, reason, pro tools, studio one, etc. just get one you can afford and supports your computer.
3. A good audio interface
This is the device that helps you connect your computer to other equipment like your guitar, microphone, keyboard, etc. Most DAW is compatible with any type of audio interface so just settle for one that is reasonably priced, preferably two-channel interfaces. Some of these audio interfaces include; M-audio M-track plus II, universal audio Apollo twin, PreSonus audiobox, apogee ONE, Mackie onyx blackjack and more.
4. Quality Microphone(s)
Microphones are very important but for a start, you only need one or two mics and as time goes on you may decide to purchase more mics for specific purposes. For vocal recording, you may want to go for the classic large diaphragm condenser vocal microphone but then, you really do not have to spend more than $100 on a mic.
5. Studio monitor speakers
To hear the sound of your recordings, you need a pair of good quality monitor speakers. Despite the fact that most people now use the headphones for this purpose, studio monitor speakers still deliver flatter frequency responses that provide a greater neutral sound that helps judge your mix objectively.
There are several high-quality studio monitors out there but then, you should get one that is affordable. Do not buy more than you need.
At a certain point, your studio will require so many XLR cables but for a start, you will only need three; “two short XLR cables for your studio monitors” and “one long XLR cable for your microphone”.
Make sure your audio interface has XLR connectors before you purchase your studio monitor cables. If your audio interface uses a TRS cable, then you will have to get the right cables suitable. Good quality microphone cables can be quite expensive but you can always find good ones that fall in a reasonable price range.
You can record and listen to your mixes on your headphones. At times it can be a little challenging but it can be done. As a matter of fact, some people find it more convenient than monitors. You can start with the headphones until you can afford the studio monitors.
There are two designs of headphone considered to be standard for studio purposes
- The open-back headphones used for mixing – this gives you excellent sound quality at the expense of reduced isolation.
- The closed-back headphones for tracking – this gives you excellent isolation at the expense of reduced sound quality.
For those new to home recording, the closed-back headphones are really necessary.
8. Pop filter
The pop filter filters out unpleasant vocal sounds called “popping”. It occurs when the “B” and “P” sounds are pronounced. This is also a necessity for your studio and they are quite cheap.
9. Mic stand
A quality mic stand is one gadget you cannot afford to overlook for your new home studio. The qualities of mic stands vary with their prices. A solid mic stand can be a little expensive but if you are on a tight budget, you can always go for a cheap, reliable mic stand.
If you get these components, you will have a decent and functional home studio. You will also have all the professional equipment you need to create great sounds. Take your time to learn and master this equipment and you will see great results in no time.
- 【EXQUISITE APPERANCE】：This unique mushroom-shaped soundproof foam board has a delicate appearance and design. Very suitable for individuals to reduce and absorb unnecessary echoes, waves, reverberation and tremor echoes and beautiful wall decoration.At 50/lbs per cubic yard, these acoustic panels effectively absorb unwanted flutter echoes.
- 【EFFECTIVE NOISE REDUCTION】: Used for professional acoustic control, sound attenuation, acoustic processing, noise reduction-reducing fluctuations, reverberation and tremor echo in small and medium-sized rooms. Immediately improve audio quality by reducing background noise and echo.
- 【HIGH-QUALITY MATERIAL】: High-density polyurethane material, made of flame-retardant and environmentally-friendly materials, passed the environmental protection and flame retardancy test of SGS, is a safe and reliable product. Don't worry about product deformation caused by long-term compression, it can be soaked in water for a period of time and then air-dried to restore the original shape.
- 【WIDE APPLICATION】: suitable for professional studio, recording studio, voice studio, control room, rehearsal room, concert hall, podcast, etc., also can be used for church, home theater, professional theater, home studio, office, utility closet, etc.Can handle walls, ceilings, doors, etc.
- 【INSTRUCTIONS FOR METHOD】: After opening the package of acoustic foam , it can be immersed in water for 3 minutes, and then dried, so that the product can be restored to its best condition and can be directly pasted. After opening the the package of soundproof foam, the acoustic panels can be placed in a ventilated place for 24-48 hours, and the sound proof foam panels can be paste.
- Get everything you need in one box, and start recording straight away
- Zero-latency monitoring via internal analog mixer
- Studio One Artist is a feature-packed DAW, perfect for recording, mixing, and sharing your music
- Step up to serious, 2-way professional studio monitors with Eris
- LyxPro Studio-Grade Mesh Microphone Pop Filter Improves Vocal Recording Quality & Eliminates Harsh Plosive Sounds
- High quality USB mic, isolation booth, shock mount, and pop filter ensure a clean, professional recording
- Attaches easily to any 5/8"-27 TPI microphone stand
- All for less than the price of one typical USB mic
- Easily add a mic stand and your favorite recording software for everything you need to get started
- HEXAGON SHAPED&BEVELED EDGE DESIGN: Are you looking for stylish acoustic panels? Choose us! It is the honey comb design that makes our sound proof foam panels great for wall decoration and acoustic treatment! Crafted using chamfer design, the sound panels bring better protection to your family and friends such as anti-collision, anti-scratch and non-slip. Good looking soundproofing panels play an important role in wall art in your favorite space!
- IMPROVE SOUND QUALITY: Made from 215kg/m3 high density polyester felt fabric, our soundproof wall panels do well in reducing noise, eliminating sound impurities and improving speech intelligibility. We insist on using high quality soundproofing material to ensure it's flame retardant, odorless, non-toxic, corrosion resistant, and fade resistant. Furthermore, the acoustic foam panels achieve a grade of noise reduction coefficient: 0.92 and absorption coefficient: 0.8!
- SOLID COLOR&MIXED COLOR: Professional sound dampening panels are great for spot treating sound on walls in your studio or office. Special solid and mixed color soundproofing panels are the best choice to decorate your recording studios, control rooms, offices home studios, home theaters, home offices. It's safe to touch and breath in because of the odorless and eco friendly soundproof material. Let's start architectural decoration and enjoy a new live soon!
- EASY TO INSTALL: The installation of sound foam panels must be very simple! No special tools or materials are needed! Our perfect cutting sound absorbing panel can be attached to a variety of surfaces, and thus, you won’t have to wrestle with to get it where they need to go. Please ensure the surface is clean, dry and free from dust before starting. Then, simply attach the panels with heavy duty 3M adhesive taps, spray adhesive, and nails (not included).
- AFTER SELL WARRANTY: We offers 24-hour stand-by professional customer service, if you have any questions about the studio foam panels, feel free to contact us! If you are not satisfied with our acoustic absorption panels, please email us first, we would provide you with professional solutions. Your 100% satisfaction is guaranteed, we are ready for your every question about hexagon sound panels.
- good for studios, recording studios, vocal booths, control rooms
- Used to absorb mid to high range frequencies and diminish echoes. Overall Noise Reduction Coefficien
- foam tiles perfectly aligned, professional sound quality
- Compress the packaging.High quality products.Open the package for quick recovery.6 to 12 hours