There are several different ways to set up a home recording studio. This could be very challenging and paralyzing for those new to home recording. However, knowing what basic and the essential equipment you require can make set up a lot easier because the truth is that most people are of the belief that you need a really huge budget to set up a studio.
Well, that’s correct if you are setting up a standard, commercial studio. But then, to configure your decent home studio, you don’t have to break the bank. You do not have to get frustrated or confused about the things you need to get started.
This article will highlight the basic and essential things you require and some of these things you already have. With the following items below, you can setup a simple home studio for anyone new to home recording.
- A decent computer
- DAW (digital audio workstation)
- Audio interface
- Quality Microphone(s)
- Studio monitor speakers
- Pop filter
- Mic stand
1. A decent computer
You probably already own a computer. But if you are thinking of getting a separate computer from your personal one, then you can pick from these options:
Mac, PC desktop or laptop; anyone is good, it’s all about choice. The most important thing is to go for that one you find more convenient and feel more comfortable working with. You should try to get as much RAM as possible because this will definitely make recording much easier and faster.
2. DAW (digital audio workstation)
This is a program/software used for recording, editing, and sometimes mixing and mastering music on your computer. There are so many options you can pick from like; audition, sonar, Cubase, reason, pro tools, studio one, etc. just get one you can afford and supports your computer.
3. A good audio interface
This is the device that helps you connect your computer to other equipment like your guitar, microphone, keyboard, etc. Most DAW is compatible with any type of audio interface so just settle for one that is reasonably priced, preferably two-channel interfaces. Some of these audio interfaces include; M-audio M-track plus II, universal audio Apollo twin, PreSonus audiobox, apogee ONE, Mackie onyx blackjack and more.
4. Quality Microphone(s)
Microphones are very important but for a start, you only need one or two mics and as time goes on you may decide to purchase more mics for specific purposes. For vocal recording, you may want to go for the classic large diaphragm condenser vocal microphone but then, you really do not have to spend more than $100 on a mic.
5. Studio monitor speakers
To hear the sound of your recordings, you need a pair of good quality monitor speakers. Despite the fact that most people now use the headphones for this purpose, studio monitor speakers still deliver flatter frequency responses that provide a greater neutral sound that helps judge your mix objectively.
There are several high-quality studio monitors out there but then, you should get one that is affordable. Do not buy more than you need.
At a certain point, your studio will require so many XLR cables but for a start, you will only need three; “two short XLR cables for your studio monitors” and “one long XLR cable for your microphone”.
Make sure your audio interface has XLR connectors before you purchase your studio monitor cables. If your audio interface uses a TRS cable, then you will have to get the right cables suitable. Good quality microphone cables can be quite expensive but you can always find good ones that fall in a reasonable price range.
You can record and listen to your mixes on your headphones. At times it can be a little challenging but it can be done. As a matter of fact, some people find it more convenient than monitors. You can start with the headphones until you can afford the studio monitors.
There are two designs of headphone considered to be standard for studio purposes
- The open-back headphones used for mixing – this gives you excellent sound quality at the expense of reduced isolation.
- The closed-back headphones for tracking – this gives you excellent isolation at the expense of reduced sound quality.
For those new to home recording, the closed-back headphones are really necessary.
8. Pop filter
The pop filter filters out unpleasant vocal sounds called “popping”. It occurs when the “B” and “P” sounds are pronounced. This is also a necessity for your studio and they are quite cheap.
9. Mic stand
A quality mic stand is one gadget you cannot afford to overlook for your new home studio. The qualities of mic stands vary with their prices. A solid mic stand can be a little expensive but if you are on a tight budget, you can always go for a cheap, reliable mic stand.
If you get these components, you will have a decent and functional home studio. You will also have all the professional equipment you need to create great sounds. Take your time to learn and master this equipment and you will see great results in no time.
- Get everything you need in one box, and start recording straight away
- Usb-c bus-powered, 2x2 audio interface with MIDI for macOS and Windows
- 2 balanced ¼” TRS main outputs with front-panel level control
- Step up to serious, 2-way professional studio monitors with Eris
- LyxPro Studio-Grade Mesh Microphone Pop Filter Improves Vocal Recording Quality & Eliminates Harsh Plosive Sounds
- Rogers, John (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 184 Pages - 03/01/2017 (Publication Date) - Independently published (Publisher)
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- GERVAIS (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 366 Pages - 09/30/2010 (Publication Date) - Course Technology PTR (Publisher)
- SAFETY -- Made of quality polyurethane High density flame-retardant foam material, these studio foam are durable and effective, no health risks, safe to use.
- PACKAGE INCLUDES -- These soundproofing foam panels come with 12 pack in the package, each tile is 1 square foot of 2 inch thick acoustic wedge, 12 pack covers an area of 12 square feet.
- WEDGE SURFACE -- Our sound foam panels have wedge surface of -12 grooves increases the contact area with sound waves, dampen and diffuse mid to low frequency sound waves inside of a room and the sound absorption effect is better than other shapes of surfaces.
- EASY to INSTALL -- These studio sound absorbing panels can be used as acoustic cover for walls, ceilings and doors, just easily attach it with staples, nails, screws, tacks or glue. Don't worry about product deformation caused by long-term compression, it can be soaked in water for a period of time and then air-dried to restore the original shape.
- WIDELY USAGE -- For professional acoustic control, sound absorption and reverberation reduction. Our sound dampening foam panels by attenuating excess sound waves to obtain better recording effects, they are great for recording studios, vocal booths, control rooms, also ideal for home theaters.
- ♪【Eliminate Interference】♪: The inner side of the microphone isolation shield is made of absorbing cotton insulation that can reduce sound reflection when recording.
- ♪【Flexiblity & Convenience】♪: The folding panel design features enables angle adjustments, giving you optimal insolation. Compact design, lightweight construction as well as fold-ability allows you to carry it easily and take along wherever you go.* Note: This package contains a mic isolation shield and an adapter accessory package. It does not include headphones and microphone
- ♪【Durability】♪: Constructed out of premium steel with high-quality screws to ensure sturdiness, and long lasting performance. Can be used without a stand on a flat surface to begin your wonderful journey to experience new horizons would with Aokeo Professional isolation shield.
- ♪【Versatility】♪: The microphone isolation shield can be fixed on a countertop or tabletop, and also can be mounted to a microphone stand. *Does not include any Aokeo microphones, stands, etc. which is purchased separately. Only the pop shield will be in box*
- ♪【Design Style】♪: Block unwanted sounds from entering your microphone by using this Microphone Isolation Shield. This acoustic shield features an acoustic foam front and a vented metal back plate. The foldable design makes it convenient for you to take it to any place.