There are several different ways to set up a home recording studio. This could be very challenging and paralyzing for those new to home recording. However, knowing what basic and the essential equipment you require can make set up a lot easier because the truth is that most people are of the belief that you need a really huge budget to set up a studio.
Well, that’s correct if you are setting up a standard, commercial studio. But then, to configure your decent home studio, you don’t have to break the bank. You do not have to get frustrated or confused about the things you need to get started.
This article will highlight the basic and essential things you require and some of these things you already have. With the following items below, you can setup a simple home studio for anyone new to home recording.
- A decent computer
- DAW (digital audio workstation)
- Audio interface
- Quality Microphone(s)
- Studio monitor speakers
- Pop filter
- Mic stand
1. A decent computer
You probably already own a computer. But if you are thinking of getting a separate computer from your personal one, then you can pick from these options:
Mac, PC desktop or laptop; anyone is good, it’s all about choice. The most important thing is to go for that one you find more convenient and feel more comfortable working with. You should try to get as much RAM as possible because this will definitely make recording much easier and faster.
2. DAW (digital audio workstation)
This is a program/software used for recording, editing, and sometimes mixing and mastering music on your computer. There are so many options you can pick from like; audition, sonar, Cubase, reason, pro tools, studio one, etc. just get one you can afford and supports your computer.
3. A good audio interface
This is the device that helps you connect your computer to other equipment like your guitar, microphone, keyboard, etc. Most DAW is compatible with any type of audio interface so just settle for one that is reasonably priced, preferably two-channel interfaces. Some of these audio interfaces include; M-audio M-track plus II, universal audio Apollo twin, PreSonus audiobox, apogee ONE, Mackie onyx blackjack and more.
4. Quality Microphone(s)
Microphones are very important but for a start, you only need one or two mics and as time goes on you may decide to purchase more mics for specific purposes. For vocal recording, you may want to go for the classic large diaphragm condenser vocal microphone but then, you really do not have to spend more than $100 on a mic.
5. Studio monitor speakers
To hear the sound of your recordings, you need a pair of good quality monitor speakers. Despite the fact that most people now use the headphones for this purpose, studio monitor speakers still deliver flatter frequency responses that provide a greater neutral sound that helps judge your mix objectively.
There are several high-quality studio monitors out there but then, you should get one that is affordable. Do not buy more than you need.
At a certain point, your studio will require so many XLR cables but for a start, you will only need three; “two short XLR cables for your studio monitors” and “one long XLR cable for your microphone”.
Make sure your audio interface has XLR connectors before you purchase your studio monitor cables. If your audio interface uses a TRS cable, then you will have to get the right cables suitable. Good quality microphone cables can be quite expensive but you can always find good ones that fall in a reasonable price range.
You can record and listen to your mixes on your headphones. At times it can be a little challenging but it can be done. As a matter of fact, some people find it more convenient than monitors. You can start with the headphones until you can afford the studio monitors.
There are two designs of headphone considered to be standard for studio purposes
- The open-back headphones used for mixing – this gives you excellent sound quality at the expense of reduced isolation.
- The closed-back headphones for tracking – this gives you excellent isolation at the expense of reduced sound quality.
For those new to home recording, the closed-back headphones are really necessary.
8. Pop filter
The pop filter filters out unpleasant vocal sounds called “popping”. It occurs when the “B” and “P” sounds are pronounced. This is also a necessity for your studio and they are quite cheap.
9. Mic stand
A quality mic stand is one gadget you cannot afford to overlook for your new home studio. The qualities of mic stands vary with their prices. A solid mic stand can be a little expensive but if you are on a tight budget, you can always go for a cheap, reliable mic stand.
If you get these components, you will have a decent and functional home studio. You will also have all the professional equipment you need to create great sounds. Take your time to learn and master this equipment and you will see great results in no time.
- Create a mix using audio, music and voice tracks and recordings.
- Customize your tracks with amazing effects and helpful editing tools.
- Use tools like the Beat Maker and Midi Creator.
- Work efficiently by using Bookmarks and tools like Effect Chain, which allow you to apply multiple effects at a time
- Use one of the many other NCH multimedia applications that are integrated with MixPad.
- Equipped with Studio Headphones: Proprietary 50mm large-aperture drivers and deep, accurate bass response bring you a treat of your ear. Advanced active noise reduction technology makes you focus on what you want to hear. Foldable, flexible and skin texture design, more durability and comfort! What's more, MAONO provides one more adapter(3.5mm to 6.35mm plug), which you can connect to a mixer, Meet your more needs!
- PROFESSIONAL SOUND CHIPSET 192kHz/24bit: This Condenser Microphone has been designed with professional sound chipset, which lets the USB microphone hold a high-resolution sampling rate. SAMPLING RATE: 192kHz/24bit!!! The smooth, flat frequency response of 30Hz-16kHz--Extended frequency response is excellent for singing, speech and Voice over, Performed perfectly in reproduces sound, high-quality mic ensure your exquisite sound reproduces on the internet
- PLUG and PLAY: The microphone has USB 2.0 data port which is easy to connect with your computer and Linux operation system, and no need extra driver software, and no need for an external sound card. Double shielding USB cable reduces interference. That makes it easy to sound good on a podcast, livestream, video call, or most any other kind of recording
- 16mm ELECTRET CONDENSER TRANSDUCER & MAGNET RING: With the 16mm electret condenser transducer, the USB microphone can give you a strong bass response. This professional condenser microphone picks up crystal clear audio. The magnet ring, on the USB microphone cable, has a strong anti-interference function, which makes you have a better feel
- PACKAGE LIST AND WARRANTY: Wired Headphones+Condenser Mic + Adjustable Scissor Arm Stand + Metal Shock Mount + Pop Filter + Foam Mic Windscreen + Table Mounting Clamp + USB-B to USB-A Cable+3.5mm to 6.35mm Adapter. MAONO products provide 12-Month warranty to ensure a better shopping experience!
- Easily edit music and audio tracks with one of the many music editing tools available.
- Adjust levels with envelope, equalize, and other leveling options for optimal sound.
- Make your music more interesting with special effects, speed, duration, and voice adjustments.
- Use Batch Conversion, the NCH Sound Library, Text-To-Speech, and other helpful tools along the way.
- Create your own customized ringtone or burn directly to disc.
- ELIMINATE INTERFERENCE: The inner side of the microphone isolation shield is made of absorbing cotton insulation that can reduce sound reflection when recording
- FLEXIBILITY & CONVENIENCE: The folding panel design features enables angle adjustments, giving you optimal insolation. Compact design, lightweight construction as well as fold-ability allows you to carry it easily and take along wherever you go
- DURABILITY: Constructed out of premium steel with high-quality screws to ensure sturdiness, and long lasting performance. DIMENSIONS: 16inches /41centimeters wide and 12.4inches/31.5centimeters tall when fully extended out for use
- VERSATILITY: The microphone isolation shield can be fixed on a countertop or tabletop, and also can be mounted to a microphone stand. NOT include any Neewer microphones, stands, etc. which is purchased separately
- DESIGN: Block unwanted sounds from entering your microphone by using this Microphone Isolation Shield. This acoustic shield features an acoustic foam front and a vented metal back plate. NOTE: THIS DOES NOT COME WITH ANY STAND. ADDITIONALLY IT MAY OR MAY NOT FIT YOUR PERSONAL STAND SO WE INCLUDED AND ADAPTER IN BOX, BUT DOES FIT NEEWER BRANDED STANDS 100% GUARANTEE
- The AxcessAbles SF-101 Recording Studio isolation Shield features high-density sound dampening acoustic pyramid foam for noise absorption & reduction. The SF-101 Tripod Stand is constructed from high grade alloy & holds up to 45 lbs. Designed for maximum portability & durability. Height adjustment holes allow you to easily change the height of the stand. Lastly, a detachable, Professional pop filter helps control & eliminate pops and sibilance while using your MX-100 condenser microphone.
- The MX-100 professional-quality, uni-directional, condenser microphone has a cardioid polar pattern that delivers high-sensitivity, low-noise and a wide dynamic output. The MX-100 provides a clear, smooth, extended frequency response and is excellent for singing, speech and acoustic instruments for professional audio recordings.
- The MX-100 comes with a high-quality suspension shock mount that isolates the condenser mic from physical vibrations, table or stand noise with an angle adjustment locking knob. In addition, the MX-100 includes a windscreen to help control and protect your mic from moisture and dust while preventing dynamic popping sounds and wind.
- Also Includes the CM-219 Tripod Desktop Microphone Stand and is perfect for home or pro recording studios, on a podium, or in a live situation. It is Portable, folding, stable and non-slip tripod stand is made of stainless steel with 3/8" threaded mount and 5/8" adaptor, with non-slip rubberized feet and folding legs.
- The AxcessAbles MX-100 Professional Cardioid Studio Condenser XLR Microphone is compatible with external Digital Audio Workstations (DAW’s) or Audio Interfaces for USB connectivity to a computer. IMPORTANT: Condenser XLR Microphones require a 48 Volt EXTERNAL PHANTOM power source provided by most Digital Audio Workstations, Audio Interfaces or mixers with 48 volt Phantom Power built in.