There are several different ways to set up a home recording studio. This could be very challenging and paralyzing for those new to home recording. However, knowing what basic and the essential equipment you require can make set up a lot easier because the truth is that most people are of the belief that you need a really huge budget to set up a studio.
Well, that’s correct if you are setting up a standard, commercial studio. But then, to configure your decent home studio, you don’t have to break the bank. You do not have to get frustrated or confused about the things you need to get started.
This article will highlight the basic and essential things you require and some of these things you already have. With the following items below, you can setup a simple home studio for anyone new to home recording.
- A decent computer
- DAW (digital audio workstation)
- Audio interface
- Quality Microphone(s)
- Studio monitor speakers
- Pop filter
- Mic stand
1. A decent computer
You probably already own a computer. But if you are thinking of getting a separate computer from your personal one, then you can pick from these options:
Mac, PC desktop or laptop; anyone is good, it’s all about choice. The most important thing is to go for that one you find more convenient and feel more comfortable working with. You should try to get as much RAM as possible because this will definitely make recording much easier and faster.
2. DAW (digital audio workstation)
This is a program/software used for recording, editing, and sometimes mixing and mastering music on your computer. There are so many options you can pick from like; audition, sonar, Cubase, reason, pro tools, studio one, etc. just get one you can afford and supports your computer.
3. A good audio interface
This is the device that helps you connect your computer to other equipment like your guitar, microphone, keyboard, etc. Most DAW is compatible with any type of audio interface so just settle for one that is reasonably priced, preferably two-channel interfaces. Some of these audio interfaces include; M-audio M-track plus II, universal audio Apollo twin, PreSonus audiobox, apogee ONE, Mackie onyx blackjack and more.
4. Quality Microphone(s)
Microphones are very important but for a start, you only need one or two mics and as time goes on you may decide to purchase more mics for specific purposes. For vocal recording, you may want to go for the classic large diaphragm condenser vocal microphone but then, you really do not have to spend more than $100 on a mic.
5. Studio monitor speakers
To hear the sound of your recordings, you need a pair of good quality monitor speakers. Despite the fact that most people now use the headphones for this purpose, studio monitor speakers still deliver flatter frequency responses that provide a greater neutral sound that helps judge your mix objectively.
There are several high-quality studio monitors out there but then, you should get one that is affordable. Do not buy more than you need.
At a certain point, your studio will require so many XLR cables but for a start, you will only need three; “two short XLR cables for your studio monitors” and “one long XLR cable for your microphone”.
Make sure your audio interface has XLR connectors before you purchase your studio monitor cables. If your audio interface uses a TRS cable, then you will have to get the right cables suitable. Good quality microphone cables can be quite expensive but you can always find good ones that fall in a reasonable price range.
You can record and listen to your mixes on your headphones. At times it can be a little challenging but it can be done. As a matter of fact, some people find it more convenient than monitors. You can start with the headphones until you can afford the studio monitors.
There are two designs of headphone considered to be standard for studio purposes
- The open-back headphones used for mixing – this gives you excellent sound quality at the expense of reduced isolation.
- The closed-back headphones for tracking – this gives you excellent isolation at the expense of reduced sound quality.
For those new to home recording, the closed-back headphones are really necessary.
8. Pop filter
The pop filter filters out unpleasant vocal sounds called “popping”. It occurs when the “B” and “P” sounds are pronounced. This is also a necessity for your studio and they are quite cheap.
9. Mic stand
A quality mic stand is one gadget you cannot afford to overlook for your new home studio. The qualities of mic stands vary with their prices. A solid mic stand can be a little expensive but if you are on a tight budget, you can always go for a cheap, reliable mic stand.
If you get these components, you will have a decent and functional home studio. You will also have all the professional equipment you need to create great sounds. Take your time to learn and master this equipment and you will see great results in no time.
- Create a mix using audio, music and voice tracks and recordings.
- Customize your tracks with amazing effects and helpful editing tools.
- Use tools like the Beat Maker and Midi Creator.
- Work efficiently by using Bookmarks and tools like Effect Chain, which allow you to apply multiple effects at a time
- Use one of the many other NCH multimedia applications that are integrated with MixPad.
- Easily edit music and audio tracks with one of the many music editing tools available.
- Adjust levels with envelope, equalize, and other leveling options for optimal sound.
- Make your music more interesting with special effects, speed, duration, and voice adjustments.
- Use Batch Conversion, the NCH Sound Library, Text-To-Speech, and other helpful tools along the way.
- Create your own customized ringtone or burn directly to disc.
- The AxcessAbles SF-101 Recording Studio isolation Shield features high-density sound dampening acoustic pyramid foam for noise absorption & reduction. The SF-101 Tripod Stand is constructed from high grade alloy & holds up to 45 lbs. Designed for maximum portability & durability. Height adjustment holes allow you to easily change the height of the stand. Lastly, a detachable, Professional pop filter helps control & eliminate pops and sibilance while using your MX-100 condenser microphone.
- The MX-100 professional-quality, uni-directional, condenser microphone has a cardioid polar pattern that delivers high-sensitivity, low-noise and a wide dynamic output. The MX-100 provides a clear, smooth, extended frequency response and is excellent for singing, speech and acoustic instruments for professional audio recordings.
- The MX-100 comes with a high-quality suspension shock mount that isolates the condenser mic from physical vibrations, table or stand noise with an angle adjustment locking knob. In addition, the MX-100 includes a windscreen to help control and protect your mic from moisture and dust while preventing dynamic popping sounds and wind.
- Also Includes the CM-219 Tripod Desktop Microphone Stand and is perfect for home or pro recording studios, on a podium, or in a live situation. It is Portable, folding, stable and non-slip tripod stand is made of stainless steel with 3/8" threaded mount and 5/8" adaptor, with non-slip rubberized feet and folding legs.
- The AxcessAbles MX-100 Professional Cardioid Studio Condenser XLR Microphone is compatible with external Digital Audio Workstations (DAW’s) or Audio Interfaces for USB connectivity to a computer. IMPORTANT: Condenser XLR Microphones require a 48 Volt EXTERNAL PHANTOM power source provided by most Digital Audio Workstations, Audio Interfaces or mixers with 48 volt Phantom Power built in.
- Audio Box USB 96 audio/MIDI interface with cable
- Studio One Artist recording and production software (DAW)
- HD7 studio monitoring headphones
- M7 studio condenser microphone with cable
- Comes with the Studio Magic Plugin Suite
- UNIVERSAL LAPTOP TRAY: This is a reliable laptop stand with a universal tray that holds most devices. It can be used with iPad or tablet, laptops, DJ mixer, turntables, and more. Perfect for home, gaming, school or business use
- ANTI SLIP FOLDABLE DESIGN: Made with anti slip legs and no loose parts to avoid accidental slides or falls. The ergonomic standing design has a foldable dimension of 10.2 x 9.8 x 1.2 inch and 10.2 x 9.8 x 13.7 inch unfolded dimension
- SECONDARY ACCESSORY TRAY: Besides the main laptop tray, this stand comes with a secondary accessory tray as well. It can hold various small items and easy to install, just slide it in and it’s ready
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND PORTABLE: The unit only weighs 3.3 lbs. and foldable that fits in a bag. It is portable, lightweight, sturdy and flat foldable. Best used when traveling or in other shorter monitor eye level situations
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: Constructed with heavy duty durable materials for unmatched quality. It also has an engineered laptop shelf with the exact dimensions of 9.6'' x 8.5'’ inch