Splitting mauls are tools which are used for splitting large-sized logs into smaller pieces and even though most people prefer to use an axe, using a splitting maul also has its own advantages.
Splitting mauls comes with a wider head and a balanced weight which is something an axe doesn’t have and the advantage of its wider head is it delivers a clean and smooth cut which in turn guarantees less wastage of wood.
Also, using a splitting maul ensures the safety of the user and having considered these benefits, now let us take a look at the best five splitting mauls which you would find readily available today.
- 5. Mintcraft PRO 34004 Wood Splitting Maul with Fiberglass Handle, 4.5-Pound
- 4. Husqvarna 32″ Wooden Splitting Maul
- 3. Estwing Fireside Friend Axe – 14″ Wood Splitting Maul with Forged Steel Construction & Shock Reduction Grip – E3-FF4
- 2. Fiskars Iso Core 8 lb Maul, 36 Inch
- 1. Fiskars X27 Super Splitting Axe, 36-Inch
- Other Notable Splitting Mauls Include
- 1. Helko Werk Vario 2000 Heavy Log Splitter (Splitting Axe)
- 2. Estwing Camper’s Axe – 26″ Wood Splitting Tool with All Steel Construction & Shock Reduction Grip – E45A
- 3. 1844 Helko Werk Germany Traditional Splitting Maul
- 4. TABOR TOOLS J55A Splitting Axe, 35 Inch Wood Splitting Maul With Strong Fiberglass Handle
- 5. Large Splitting Axe
- Conclusion – What You Should Know
5. Mintcraft PRO 34004 Wood Splitting Maul with Fiberglass Handle, 4.5-Pound
The Mintcraft PRO 34004 wood splitting maul is one product that you can rely on to get splitting tasks done and the beauty of this splitting maul is its impressive V-shape design which sometimes serves as a secondary wedge or assists in splitting wood easily.
Another notable feature of the Mintcraft PRO wood splitting maul is its double injection fibreglass handle which provides every user with optimal durability and maximum strength and not only does it provide those but its fibreglass handle also helps in providing the hands with overstrike protection.
Excellent splitting results is guaranteed whenever you make use of this tool as its well-sharpened edges would deliver accurate and precise results and you rest assured that this tool would last for a long time as it boasts of a strong and durable design.
- Splits well and works pretty good
- Provides great balance during use
- Recommended for a camping adventure
- Can be used as a gift item for your friend or relative
- Its handle cracks and breaks easily
Trending Article: Best Log Splitter
4. Husqvarna 32″ Wooden Splitting Maul
One notable feature of the thirty-two-inch HUSQVARNA wooden splitting maul is it comes with a poll which works effectively in driving splitting wedges and this top-quality splitting maul is solely tasked with the aim of splitting chunks of food for a campfire or other outdoor uses.
This splitting maul was carefully forged in Sweden using a high-quality Swedish material which ensures durability for long-lasting use and with the right kind of maintenance you rest assured that this tool won’t rust easily.
The head of this maul is properly attached to a hickory shaft using a steel and wooden wedge fastener which ensures it fastens properly and thanks to its tough and hard striking face, this splitting maul can be used as a sledge or can be used together with a splitting wedge.
- Top-quality hand-forged tool
- Easy to sharpen
- Comes with a great handle
- Bad warranty
- Its handle grain feels off
- Not durable as expected
3. Estwing Fireside Friend Axe – 14″ Wood Splitting Maul with Forged Steel Construction & Shock Reduction Grip – E3-FF4
This is definitely the longest lasting and most durable maul that you would ever find as it is carefully forged using a high-quality steel material which guarantees durability for long-lasting use.
No matter the task whether it is for kindling, splitting firewood or even chopping, you rest assured that this quality maul from ESTWING would get the task done.
This maul is considered to be a versatile axe as it can be used for splitting wood, chopping branches, small trees and even logs while one notable feature that tends to attract people to this quality maul is its heavy-duty nylon sheath which provides the hand with maximum protection from fatigue and unwanted cuts during use.
It also comes with an original leather grip which provides every user with maximum comfort while in use.
- Works great and exceeds expectations
- Perfect construction
- Ideal for breaking kindling
- Heavy and nice
- Recommended for smaller jobs
- Takes a little bit of time to get kindling while using this maul
2. Fiskars Iso Core 8 lb Maul, 36 Inch
Whether it is for splitting wood or driving stakes and wedges, the Fiskars Iso Core 8 axe is one that would get such tasks done effortlessly as it boasts of an optimized blade geometry which provides a tough performance and deep penetration during use.
This axe is highly recommended for everyone as it also comes with a unique IsoCore shock control system which works effectively in the reduction of vibration and shock during use.
One benefit that comes with using this highly rated axe is it helps to eliminate joint pain and hand fatigue during use and unlike other low-quality axes out there on the market, this quality axe from Fiskars would last for a very long time as it is solidly built and tested to withstand even the toughest of use.
- Splits big woods with ease
- Feels comfortable when held
- Works as described
- Comes with great accuracy and control
1. Fiskars X27 Super Splitting Axe, 36-Inch
Specially designed for taller people, the Fiskars X27 super spitting axe is one the most sought after and highly rated splitting axe that you would come across today as it comes with adequate power required for tearing apart medium-sized woods and large-sized woods.
This top-quality axe boasts of the advanced blade geometry, ideal weight distribution, unbreakable design and a very sharp edge which helps to boost and enhance performance.
Thanks to its unique feature this axe would deliver accurate splitting results in just one strike and one notable feature of this axe are its long handle which provides the user with adequate speed and power.
Using this axe ensures that you get every splitting task done effortlessly and quickly.
- Very sharp
- Makes tasks easier
- Solidly built
- Blade chips within few months of use
Other Notable Splitting Mauls Include
1. Helko Werk Vario 2000 Heavy Log Splitter (Splitting Axe)
However, due to its weight and size, this is one tool that requires great amount of control from every user in order to enjoy quality and satisfied performances while durability is also one of the key features of this heavy-duty splitting axe as it is made out of high-quality materials which do not only guarantee long-lasting use but also helps in enhancing performance.
This is one axe that is exactly as powerful as it looks as it is specially designed for harder and tougher jobs thanks to the several and impressive feature and benefits that it comes packed with and speaking about features, the HELKO WERK VARIO heavy log splitter splitting axe is one that boasts of the combination of high punishing weight and a deep wedge which helps in delivering a high and amazing strike force capable of splitting heavy logs, large trunks of wood and so much more.
- Easy to work with
- Nicely made axe
- Splits easily
- Doesn’t hurt the back
- Designed to meet the expectation
- High-quality product
- Heavy-duty tool
2. Estwing Camper’s Axe – 26″ Wood Splitting Tool with All Steel Construction & Shock Reduction Grip – E45A
This axe is considered to be a versatile axe as it can be used for splitting wood, chopping branches, small trees and even logs while one notable feature that tends to attract people to this quality axe is its heavy-duty nylon sheath which provides the hand with maximum protection from fatigue and unwanted cuts during use.
Forged using a top-quality steel construction, the ESTWING camper’s axe is certainly one axe that would last for a very long time as well as endure vigorous use and thanks to its top quality material construction, you rest assured that this axe possesses the durability and strength that would make sure you continue using it till you pass it down to your children.
It also comes with an original leather grip which provides every user with maximum comfort while in use.
- Extra-long handle makes it ideal for camping and splitting
- Feels sharp and nice
- Strong and durable
- Versatile tool
- Poor delivery as it arrived with a scratch
3. 1844 Helko Werk Germany Traditional Splitting Maul
Specially designed for long-lasting use and also well designed to endure tough and rigorous use, the HELKO WERK Germany traditional splitting maul is one that boasts or holds the above-listed features and it also boasts of high safety designs and mechanisms such as the overstrike protector which helps in providing protection against missed swings, breakage and wears.
One impressive feature of this well designed splitting maul is its small turnaround hook found at the bottom of the blade which makes moving about log quite easy and convenient a durability is also one of the key features of this well designed splitting maul as it is made using high-quality carbon steel material which guarantees long-lasting use.
- Does its job
- Designed to meet expectations
- Comes with a unique shape of the head that prevents getting stuck in a wood
- Splits log or wood with ease
- Heavy-duty maul
- Works great
- High-quality maul
- Comes with a well-balanced handle
- Screws at the handle falls off easily
4. TABOR TOOLS J55A Splitting Axe, 35 Inch Wood Splitting Maul With Strong Fiberglass Handle
This tool is specially designed to carry out heavy-duty cutting and splitting tasks with using up a large amount of energy or even experiencing any form of back strain and its easy to use design is one feature that makes this garden tool ideal for use by Do It Yourself workers, gardeners and even some homeowners.
This is one garden tool that would deliver superior performance as it holds decades of gardening experience in its construction and backed with functionality and comfort in mind, this is one tool that every user would enjoy or love working with while its well-coated blades, well-contoured grips combined with advanced and improved mechanisms would certainly guarantee impressive and professional results.
Maximum balance is guaranteed when working with this tool thanks to its well-balanced handle and its blades would stay resistant to corrosion and also stay sharp for a longer period of time thanks to the coating on the blades.
- Solidly built
- High-value product
- The product arrived sharp and ready to use
- Feels like its cheaply made
- Not impressed with its performance
5. Large Splitting Axe
When searching for that ideal tool that would conveniently and efficiently split log of wood then this large splitting axe is one tool that is specifically designed to meet such requirements as it comes with an axe head with the shape of a concave and thick also which ensures that every task or log thrown at it gets split in no time and effortlessly.
Durability is guaranteed when talking about the large splitting axe it is made using top quality material which guarantees long-lasting use and unlike other poorly designed splitting tools on the market today, the large splitting task is one that boasts of maximum balance thanks to its well-shaped handle which also helps in providing comfort during use.
Other notable features of the large splitting axe include; grain leather sheath for protection when not in use, steel collar design and also circular grooves at the tip of the axe.
- Excellent design
- Saves time
- Comes with a lot of balance
- High-quality tool
- Fun to work with
Conclusion – What You Should Know
There are certain factors to consider when searching for a good splitting maul such as its handle, head, use, balance and more but at the end of the day, it doesn’t matter how many reviews you read but how comfortable a splitting maul feels in your own hands.
The splitting mauls listed in this review are easy to use and extremely comfortable and despite their individual pros and cons, you rest assured that there are no other better splitting mauls than the ones listed above.
- DIMENSIONS: 36 inches L x 8 inches W x 2.5 inches D and weighs 8 lbs
- SPECS: 1045 high strength forged steel with a convex grind and an HRC of 45-60
- RELIABLE: Features the new, no-slip, H-Grip on the ergonomic handle that turns tacky when wet to ensure a secure grip in all conditions
- DURABLE: Handle is interlocked and epoxy sealed into the eye of the head and features a solid fiberglass core for added strength making quick work of splitting wood
- VERSATILITY: Features a flat poll for starting cracks in the wood or driving a wedge as well as a v shape head for splitting wood
- Maul is designed for heavy-duty splitting of large firewood
- Premium hand-forged wood-splitting axe head
- Made with hickory and Swedish steel
- Comes with a leather edge cover
- Made in Sweden
- Ideal for taller users splitting medium- to large-sized logs
- Designed for maximum efficiency to give you more one-strike splits. Textured non-slip grip reduces hand strain and improves control
- Perfected balance and power-to-weight ratio increases swing speed to multiply power, much like an aluminum baseball bat
- Advanced bevel convex blade geometry adds power and makes the blade easier to remove from wood
- Lifetime warranty. Item weight: 5.85 pounds
- Crafted from the highest quality materials
- Built for performance and durability
- Made in United States
- Unbreakable Handle Technology - Steel core eliminates breaking during overstrikes
- Safety Plate prevents head from dislodging
- Anti-Vibe Neck with tapered design eliminates vibration from striking
- No-Slip Grip made from vulcanized rubber ensures a secure hold
- 8-Pound extra sharp steel head
- Heavy duty fiberglass handle
- Anti-shock, rubber cushion grips
- Designed for maximum efficiency