A practice pad is an instrument that helps drummers silently develop their drum playing skills. Apart from being very quiet, one common advantage of the practice pad is that it is very portable and this makes them suitable for backstage warm-ups and practicing at night without worry of disturbing people around.
There are different types of practice pads but the one you buy should be determined by the type of drum you play. Another important thing to consider is what you actually want to use it for. Many people overlook this but then it is important to know the advantages and disadvantages of any instrument you want to purchase and ensure they meet your needs.
You may want to get a pad that is close in functionality to your kit if you intend to develop your drumming skills or an entirely different pad if you just need something to practice with on the go.
Here, in our opinion, are the Top 5 best practice pads for marching snare available today.
5. Practice Pad By Drum Republic
If you are searching for a good quality practice pad, this is just the right choice. This one is perfect for beginners and professional drummers. This 12-inch practice pad is lightweight and also comes with a pair of wooden drumsticks. It is a top-quality percussion drum that gives you hand-eye coordination, sticks control and rhythm. Age is not a factor with this device. It is suitable for all ages. It is the ideal practice kit for students and teachers and is also suitable for rehearsals and drumline warm-ups at concerts.
With this practice pad, you do not have to worry about disturbing the neighbors as it is sound dampening and barely makes any noise when struck.
It will also make a perfect gift for kids, men and women of all age group. Help someone discover new talent.
4. Tromme Drum Practice Pad & Carrying Case
Most brands of practice pads are made with gum rubber but the Tromme Drum Practice Pad is designed with silicon. Pads constructed with silicon have better quality than those made with rubber. They don’t easily wear off and are also non-toxic.
The Tromme Drum Practice Pad & Carrying Case has a diameter of twelve inches and can serve as a snare practice pad. It is soft and responsive and gives you that real feeling of playing a real drum.
You do not have to worry about disturbing people around while using this practice pad because it is quiet and barely makes any noise. It includes a carrying case that makes storage and transport much easier. It comes at a reasonable price and is far more durable than many practice pads. It provides you with a larger surface to practice conveniently.
3. Vic Firth Heavy Hitter Slim Pad
The Vic Firth Heavy Hitter Slim Pad features a gum rubber pad, 3/16 inch thick mounted to a strong wooden base. This gives you that accurate and natural feel of a marching bass drum or snare. It has the right weight and size and is very portable, making it easy to carry about.
It is affordable and far more articulate than many other pads. You can choose to play on the other side of this drum as it is made of foam. This can be helpful when you do not want to play too loud. It is also quite soft and comfortable to play.
Also, compared to other pads, the Vic Firth Heavy Hitter Slim Pad has a better bounce and is not as bulky. It is not too fancy but works perfectly.
One downside is that the rubber produces a foul smell but this will fade away after some time.
2. Ultra-Portable Practice Pad
This 6” pad is very lightweight and portable. It weighs less than ½ lb and can easily fit into your travel bag. It is designed to give you the chance to conveniently practice anywhere at any time under any condition. To restore and preserve the pads’ functionality, you can rinse this pad with water and dry using an absorbent cloth.
Never worry about this pad picking up dust as it is very easy to clean. It is also water-resistant. You can practice quietly with this pad as it has a rubber material that reduces the volume. It has a sticky underside surface so that it can be placed on any surface without moving around.
It is firm and smooth and provides enough rebound. It also has a good response and is quite easy to use. This pad comes in tough cardboard that also aids transport.
1. Ibaga 12-inch Silent Drum Practice Pad
With a dimension of 12 inches, the Ibaga Silent Drum Practice Pad design is made of gum rubber on one side and sponge on the opposite side. The sponge prevents noise and gives the pad a good grip so that it stays in place when struck. This rubber used for this pad is odorless. The sticks that come with this pad are perfect. It delivers a great sound but is a bit heavy. The sound produced is loud and not muffled, unlike some practice pads.
The Ibaga 12-inch Silent Drum Practice Pad is great for someone who isn’t really serious about drumming but just wants to have fun. Although it has much bounce than you’d expect, this practice pad is strong and silent, also comes at an affordable price.
- The Essential Practice Pad for Marching Snare Drummers - The practice pad is fully rimmed, 12-inches in diameter, and dual-sided. This is the absolute core pad for marching snare drummers
- Realistic Top Surface - The top surface is a laminated fiberglass material that offers a supremely accurate articulate snare response. The top surface resembles the feel and response of a marching snare drum.
- Surface Two: The bottom surface features a softer feel that is intended for drummers who want to quietly work on their chops and increase muscle development. Volume Level: Quiet
- Fully Rimmed: This drum practice pad weighs about 4 pounds and is portable enough for a percussionist that need to practice on the go. Ideal pad for drummers of all skill levels.
- 12 x 12 x 1.5 inches; 4.1 lbs
- The Most Versatile Practice Drum Pad - If you're a drum kit, marching snare, and/or concert snare percussionist that can only own one premium practice drum pad, this is the one. The four different hitting surfaces and rim make this pad the most complete and versatile pad in the market.
- Realistic Top Surface - The top features a traditional silicone rubber surface that resembles the feel and rebound of a snare drum. Volume Level: Standard
- Bottom Surface - The bottom surface features a harder neoprene surface This surface is intended for drummers that want a bit more articulation, less rebound, a harder surface, and a tighter snare feel. Volume Level: Above Average
- Conditioning Surface - Insert the conditioning surface for a low-rebounding, silent surface. The conditioning insert is ideal for drummers that want a good workout and chop-building surface. Volume Level: Quiet
- Laminated Surface - Insert the laminated insert for extra articulation. This surface is intended for drummers that want to hear the accents and accuracy of each stroke with ultra clarity. Volume Level: Loud
- PRACTICE ANYTIME, ANYWHERE - Evans RealFeel Practice Pad provides the best practice substitute to acoustic drums, so you can practice rudiments, paradiddles or just drum along to that song on the radio – without disturbing anyone. Portable and quiet, it works on any surface including carpet, table, lap or inside a standard snare basket.
- TWO-SIDED – The two-sided design of the practice pad gives you options for the type of practice you are doing. One side features a slightly textured natural gum rubber for realistic stick rebound. The other side features a harder, firmer recycled rubber with less rebound for a real practice workout.
- AVAILABLE IN 3 SIZES – A variety of RealFeel practice pad models are available to suit individual practice requirements including a 6” practice pad, 7” apprentice practice pad and a 12” practice pad (not mountable).
- PERFECT FOR ALL DRUMMERS - From the beginner practicing in the back of mom’s car on the way to lessons to the professional practicing on the tour bus, RealFeel practice pads suit every player’s practice needs, no matter how demanding. The natural gum rubber side is finished with a dark gray fabric that resists wear and tear.
- MADE IN THE USA - For over 40 years, Evans has been a pioneer in drum head manufacturing and design. All RealFeel practice pads are proudly designed, engineered, and manufactured in the USA to the most stringent quality controls in the industry.
- ARTICULATE PRACTICE PAD: At 13.75” inches and 5 pounds, the Invader Series of percussion pad provides a feel of actual snare surface area as much as possible. Easy to carry, this articulate practice pad provides you with a rehearsal analog that replicates the drum on which you perform. The pad fits comfortably inside a 14″ snare drum or perfectly on either side in a snare stand basket.
- SUPERIOR SURFACE: DarkMatter playing surface is an advanced polymer material that comes as close to replicating the feel of playing on a Kevlar style marching head as any that have come before.
- NON-SLIP BOTTOM SURFACE: The bottom surface also sports DarkMatter which displays an amazing non-slip reaction when placed on various surfaces. The bottom also doubles as a secondary playing surface when you don’t want the rim to get in your way.
- PATENTED RIM: Our patented rim is nearly unbreakable and designed to inflict far less damage to sticks than metal rim. The rim offers life-like snare practice and feel, offering true simulation of snare drum playing–the Invader V3 rims produce great shots at a volume and tone that allow for superior quality of sound.
- FIRST CHOICE FOR PLAYERS: Invaders are the largest and sturdiest of OffWorld Percussion’s products. Designed to be the perfect analog to a marching snare, they are the first choice of educators’ and players’ alike for perfecting a first-class snare drumming skill.
- ✔ EASY TO USE, BY ANYONE ANYWHERE; Are you just learning how to play the drums, looking for that perfect portable practice pad, or maybe you are a professional drum player trying to find your next high quality drum pad to use for snare drum practice; Either way, this is the perfect pad to suit your needs; Easily portable with covers included, it will give you the ideal rehearsal experience without disturbing anyone, as it is specially created for protecting your neighbors' ears;
- ✔ PREMIUM DOUBLE SIDED PAD; Light but solid, specially designed for the perfect drum practice experience, this practice pad is double surfaced; On the main side if features a non toxic, slightly textured, natural gum rubber that offers the feel of a drum set rebound; On the back side it is equipped with a softer rubber that offers a less rebound surface; The drum sides are mounted on a high quality robust wood frame, created to deliver you an amazing experience;
- ✔ PROFESSIONAL SNARE STAND; This Stage Series solid double braced stand is fully adjustable for height as well as snare diameter, making it suitable for most drums. The rubber faced clamps mean that it will not mark your snare whilst holding it securely. It is designed to hold any standard snare drum (6 inches deep), as well as small top drums with a diameter of 8" - 15"; This stand is also a sturdy, economic way to hold a snare drum both on the concert stage and in the marching world;
- ✔ 100% CUSTOMER SATISFACTION GUARANTEE; Order with confidence! Lifetime Warranty included; In the off chance that you're not completely satisfied with your purchase, return it for a FULL REFUND! We are always available to help our customers
- ✔ BUNDLE PACKAGE: Bundle package includes a premium quality PRACTICE PAD and DRUM STAND. Along with these items, you will receive all the accessories you need to use with your drum pad: 3 pairs of drum sticks, 6 gels for drums and 3 portable covers for your drum sticks, practice pad and stand; With your purchase you also get both AUDIOBOOK and EBOOK versions of the bestseller book “Drumming for Beginners” (usually $30) to help get you started; The only practice drum pad on Amazon with audiobook