Using a quality microphone preamp is one device that would help in powering up your microphone when you perform or when you record but there are several factors that you need to consider when choosing the one that is good for you.
These factors include:
- Price point
- Ins and Outs
- Types of preamp
- Number of channels
- Additional features
Without wasting much of your time, come with us as we show you the best microphone preamps that you don’t have to spend much to acquire. These preamps are carefully selected to match your five hundred dollar budget.
- 5. Golden Age Project Pre73 JR Compact Vintage Style
- 4. Rolls MP13 Mini Single Ch. Mic Preamp
- 3. Golden Age Project Pre-73 MKIII Mic Preamp
- 2. IK Multimedia iRig Pre microphone preamp for smartphones
- 1. ART Pro MPA II Two-Channel Discrete Class-A Mic Preamp
- Conclusion – What You Should Know
5. Golden Age Project Pre73 JR Compact Vintage Style
This is another quality microphone preamp from the golden age project and it still uses a well-balanced output and input with a discrete signal path like its previous models.
One of the benefits that come with using this golden age project is it allows you to produce musical and classical sounds and despite being compact, the golden age project microphone preamp comes with everything you need to make great sounds during recordings.
Thanks to its smaller format design, you won’t have any issues with mounting this device.
- Well built microphone preamp which delivers a noiseless operation
- Designed to deliver great and impressive sounds
- Also delivers human and powerful vocal
- Very easy to use
- Provides the user with more gain during recordings
4. Rolls MP13 Mini Single Ch. Mic Preamp
Despite featuring a simple design and looking small and compact this quality microphone preamp would deliver impressive and amazing results.
Clip indicator, single gain control, ¼ and XLR outputs and inputs are some of the notable features that come with using the rolls mini single microphone preamp and thanks to its phantom power you rest assured that you can use this microphone preamp with a condenser microphone.
Its full package comes with a power adapter and you can make use of this microphone preamp with a stereo headphone or with an unbalanced mono output.
- Comes with convenient output, input and phantom power
- Product arrived right on time
- Compact but reliable
- Well designed to deliver nice and clear sounds
- Comes with a faulty gain switch
- Still generates little noise
3. Golden Age Project Pre-73 MKIII Mic Preamp
This is an instrument and line pre-amplifier with signal paths which makes use of discrete components like transistors, capacitors and resistors.
It boasts of transformer balanced output and input which makes use of two various transformers with one designed for a specific purpose and this is exactly the same way integrated circuits were designed in the past.
This Golden Age project microphone preamp will deliver sweet, punchy and warm sounds which you would evidently on any recording and its versatile sounds are sounds that you can easily identify in most genres and sounds sources.
- Delivers 3D sounds
- Also delivers warm vintage sounds
- Comes with a faulty LED meter
2. IK Multimedia iRig Pre microphone preamp for smartphones
The IK multimedia iRig Pre microphone preamp is specially designed to work with tablets and Smartphone and using this quality microphone preamp enables you to spot adjustable gain so as to dial in the right signal level.
Another advantage that comes with using this top quality microphone preamp from IK multimedia is it boasts of a +48v phantom power which allows you to make use of it together with condenser microphone without experiencing any hiccups.
Its headphones output makes way for real-time monitoring together with supported apps.
It is also necessary to note that this microphone preamp enables you to carry out professional recording using any microphone of your choice in any situation.
It can also work with any video or audio recording app thanks to its standard headphone jack.
- Well designed to enable you to make good music using all of your devices
- Great delivery service
- Delivers crystal clear sounds
- Enables you to carry out high-quality recordings
- Still generates an annoying noise
1. ART Pro MPA II Two-Channel Discrete Class-A Mic Preamp
Each of these preamps boasts of variable input impedance, phantom power and an input circuit which ensures that the overall performance of a ribbon microphone or dynamic microphone gets improved.
One of the impressive features of this top quality preamp is it can be configured easily for stereo or dual-mono operation and it is also designed to function at either a high or low plate voltage which therefore makes way for wider variation of performance and tone.
Housed in a quality steel chassis, you rest assured that this microphone preamp is reliable and would last for a long while.
- Unit sounds great
- High valued product thanks to its reliable and top performance
- Guarantees that you make use of dynamic microphones and condenser microphones without experiencing any hiccups
- Quality construction
- Its tube light meter arrived unglued
Conclusion – What You Should Know
Several specific requirements together with various sounds are some of the factors that we have carefully considered when rounding up this product and you rest assured that these products are highly durable which guarantees that you won’t be getting a replacement anytime soon.
Feel free to get any of the models listed above and start enjoying all the benefits that it brings.
- Dimensions: 5.0"D x 5.5"W x 2.0"H
- Weight: 1.5 lbs
- Rugged all-steel construction
- Designed for years of continuous, reliable performance
- 1 year warranty
- Uses Phantom power to give passive mics (mainly used for dynamic and ribbon mics) up to +25dB without passing Phantom power on to mic
- Easy to use self contained design requires only Phantom power to work. **Does not use Phantom power to power mics
- Recommended for use with all passive dynamic microphones
- Compatible with tube, battery, or power supply driven microphones – safe for all passive ribbons with no transfer of Phantom
- Does not power the mics themselves using Phantom power (that is not what this is designed for). instead, place the cloudlifter at the front of your dynamic mic, then hit it with Phantom Power and your basic mic (even an SM58 style mic) will shine like never before
- Studio quality mic preamp/channel strip processor
- Classic dbx compression puts great sound within easy reach
- Frequency tuneable de-esser reduces sibilance and high frequency distortion
- Enhancer increases the detail and definition of the high and low frequencies
- Program adaptive expander/Gate. Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz
- Focusrite’s classic transformer-based ISA Pre amp design based on the original ISA 110 in a highly cost-effective and flexible package. Perfect for recording vocals, bass, Guitar, Broadcast, podcast, and vo
- Flexible, independent DI channel, independent gain control, Output for routing to an amp, independent XLR output on the rear and routing to the optional A-D converter
- Optional stereo 192kHz A-D converter: upgrade with an optional digital card that delivers the best A-D performance in its class, with a dynamic range of 118dB
- Switchable Impedance: four input impedances that help shape your sound, including that of the original ISA 110
- Dedicated insert point: allows you to place Extra processing between the Preamplifier or DI and the optional converter, such as an EQ or compressor. Focusrite now offers a 3-Year Warranty on this and all other Focusrite products.