To achieve different effects, a drummer should try his hands on different types of drum sticks. He needs durable sticks especially if he is a marching percussionist who plays his drum aggressively and subjects it to long hours in different weather conditions. Most drum sticks are generally made of wood and the type of wood used usually has an impact on the quality of the sticks.
Drum sticks made of maple are lighter than and not as strong as those made from hickory and oak. The tip of the drum stick is usually made of nylon or wood and the tip also has a major effect on the sound. The taper is that area from the body to the tip of the stick. A narrow taper gives a lighter sound while a thicker taper will give a much louder sound.
You will also find some numbers inscribed on the drum sticks. These numbers indicate the drum stick circumference. A lower number signifies a larger circumference and vice versa. For instance, 5A is bigger than 7A. The letters indicate the application; “S” is for “street”, “A” for “orchestra” and “B” for “band”.
Below are your best marching snare sticks on the market.
#5. Vic Firth Corpsmaster Signature Snare — Ralph Hardimon
These snare sticks are designed with a barrel tip that gives them that quick and sharp rebound. They also have a long taper for added control. With a diameter of 0.710 inches and length of 17 inches, these drum sticks have a smooth texture, handle quite well and will make a nice pair of drumsticks for your snare.
They are very strong and will last for a long time. They are a nice fit and are commonly used by drummers. These sticks also have great impact velocity, they are thick and properly balanced.
They will condition your wrist properly because they have a nice grip. Their size will definitely help improve motor skills. These quality sticks also help you achieve good sounds. You can be assured that these sticks won’t break easily even when you are doing rim shots for long.
#4. Vic Firth American Custom SD1 General, 1 pair
These sticks are ideal for a band and orchestral work. They are also good for rock. With a diameter of 0.635 inches and length of 16 3/8 inches, these legendary round-tip sticks have a nice feel and are of very good quality.
They are bulky and at the same time very light and also have a very nice movement. They also deliver a rich full sound when used to hit the drum surface and have a great rebound. You can use them to play as loudly or quietly as you want.
They are ideal for any drummer and have perfect pitch and an amazing balance. These sticks come at an amazing price and are good for concert band, traditional snare drumming, solo and more. They are sturdy and will last long.
#3. Promark American Hickory TXDC17W Scott Johnson Marching Drumsticks
These standard drumsticks are responsive, resilient and durable. They also have a classic feel. These round-tip sticks deliver a full sound on the snare drum. With a length of 17 inches and a diameter of 700 inches, they feature a medium taper.
This gives the sticks an amazing rebound and response. They are manufactured and designed in America. Hickory is the wood commonly used for drumstick design and the Promark American Hickory TXDC17W drumsticks are made from hickory. These drumsticks have a nice finish and shape
Promark American Hickory TXDC17W Scott Johnson Marching Drumsticks are made for marching snare drums and are not meant for drum sets. They have a nice weight and hold very well even when you are hitting very hard; they can withstand several rim shots. Using these sticks will definitely help you improve your chops. They provide more articulate sound and can be easily handled and controlled. Both drumsticks are also pitch matched.
They are generally of good quality.
#2. Promark Hickory TXDC50W Wood Tip Marching DrumstickS
Like the Promark American Hickory TXDC17W Marching Drumsticks, these drumsticks are responsive, durable, and resilient and also have a classic feel. With a diameter of 720 inches and length of 16 7/8 inches, these round-tip sticks provide articulate and astonishing sound on your marching drum snare.
They feature a reversed butt end taper that gives you that comfortable feel. These sticks have been designed for perfect control; they are hefty and have a big round bead. They can also withstand rim shots for long.
The Promark Hickory TXDC50W drumsticks come at a low price considering the fact that they produce quality and very loud sound. If you are looking for more sound from your drum, then I’d recommend this one. Even with their size, they are still not too heavy. They are ideal for show style matching as well as corps matching.
#1. Vic Firth MS5 Corpsmaster Snare Sticks
These MS5 model snare sticks with a diameter of 0.705 inches and length of 17 inches feature a medium taper and a round tip. They are very popular among major high school bands. They feature the right designs that reflect the necessary musical requirements of an artist when it comes to sound delivery, feel and balance.
The sound quality is really nice and they have really nice feel. They have a decent weight and are quite sturdy and durable. You can play your rim shots comfortably with these sticks but I would suggest you get some stick tapes. These tapes will make them last much longer.
The Vic Firth MS5 Corps master Snare Sticks are accurate, powerful and easy to control. Your first few practices may feel a little hard and heavy but once your muscles are well adjusted, you will get the best out of these sticks.
- Quantity & Sizing (Pairs) Quantity: 3 Type: Sticks Drum Stick Size: Custom Diameter: 0.695" Length: 16-1/2" Construction & Features Material: Hickory Drum Stick Tip: Wood Tip Shape: Oval Taper: Short Finish: Lacquer Other Country of Origin: United States Grip Material: No
- The Vic Firth Corpsmaster Signature marching snare sticks feature designs which reflect the musical requirements of each artist in terms of balance, feel and sound projection
- All models are turned in hickory for strength and power with the exception of the MS4 which is crafted in Sta-Pac for maximum weight
- The MS1 stick features a full oval tip and short taper to bring out dark sounds on drums and cymbals
- This is a pack of three pairs
- American Hickory is the most popular wood choice for drumsticks due to its resilience, responsiveness, durability, and classic feel
- The ProMatch process ensures unrivaled consistency of weight and pitch from stick to stick, and pair to pair
- All ProMark drumsticks are designed, engineered, and manufactured in the US
- Packaging and stick artwork may vary
- Players Circle members get 200 points for registering this item. Redeem points for more awesome D’Addario gear, exclusive product opportunities, and much more.
- Designed in partnership with Colin McNutt, ideal for marching applications
- Medium taper gives the stick a balanced playability without sacrificing power
- Crafted from premium USA Hickory
- Designed by marching world legend, Ralph Hardimon and used by some of the top marching groups in the world!
- Modified barrel tip and a longer taper adds control and balanced rebound
- Crafted from premium USA Hickory
- A thick shoulder adds power while a long taper supplies rebound for a well-balanced feel
- Long reverse taper pushes more mass to the front of the stick.
- Crafted from premium USA Hickory