In the 1920s, the first metal guitar strings were invented and revealed to the world in the 1930s. We all know how vital the guitar is for the musician who is trying to dominate the rock world, but without the perfect set of strings to play along with it, no guitar player is complete. Perhaps one of the most popular instruments in the world of music is the electric guitar.
However, there are a few things you need to consider before you dive into this extreme genre– especially if you are a beginner.
Firstly, getting a good metal guitar is very important; one that will allow you perform to your potential and satisfaction; a guitar with hot pickups and one that can take a beating- Equally important for that quality metal tone is finding the right strings.
Here is a quick list of some of the best electric guitar strings for metal available in the market today.
5. D’Addario NYXL1156 Nickel Wound Electric Guitar Strings
Compared to regular nickel wound strings, the D’Addario NYXL1156 Nickel Wound Electric Guitar Strings has improved tuning stability. It tunes faster and has an improved mid-range frequency response that lays between 1 kHz to 3.5 kHz ranges. They are designed for guitar players who like and prefer a heavier string setup or for tuning guitars a whole step down to D.
They are environmentally friendly and properly packaged making them corrosion resistant. These strings will remain in tune better than many other strings. They bend farther and sing louder as well. Manufactured in the United States, the plain steel alloy and carbon steel core provides an entirely different level of power and confidence.
By using a reinvented wire drawing technique, the D’Addario NYXL1156 Nickel Wound Electric Guitar Strings provide more strength and a much greater tuning stability. These strings have an improved mid-frequency response and a higher output that gives more presence.
This is because the string winding has huge magnetic properties. They are great strings, consistently made and unlike the regular 1046 D’Addario, they last several gigs.
They do last a long time and although a little expensive, you won’t have to change them anytime soon. When played hard on an acoustic, these strings maintain their tune. They have an amazing mid-range chunk and do not have the real high-end snap common with new strings. If you are particular about tone, then you should try the NYXL’s.
4. Fender Stainless Steel 350’s
For heavier styles of music, such as hard rock and heavy metal, Fender stainless 350’s is an excellent choice. These guitar strings have a pure stainless steel wrap with high resistance toil, sweat and acid for long life span and brilliant tone. They have a bright and aggressive tone that also complements guitars made of dark sounding tone-woods like poplar and mahogany.
Since 1946, fender has been the instrument of choice for many of the greatest musicians in the world. Its popularity through the generations is a result of its design and quality. Fender strings are designed in the United States of America. The use of the finest materials ensures that you will get the greatest sounding string and best feeling, set after set.
Thicker gauges provide more low-end frequency response, hotter output and a richer tone; therefore, String Gauge can play a very important role in the efficiency of your instruments.
The string tension on your guitar which can alter how difficult your guitar is to play can also be affected by the guitar strings. Very light tension can cause tuning stability issues and a very heavy tension can make it too difficult to bend notes. These guitar strings are quite affordable and will certainly deliver.
These strings are soft and silky to the touch, making string bending very easy. A stronger magnetic relationship between pickups and strings is provided by cobalt compared to any other alloy previously available. They are one of the latest innovations in string technology and provide bassists and guitarists with a new voice.
They also provide an incredible harmonic response, clear highs, crisp, increased low end and an extended dynamic range. They can be bent easily compared to traditional nickel-wound strings which help very much for learners, although they are not as smooth as regular nickel wound strings and that’s because the edges of the strings are a bit sharper beneath the fingers. The cobalt strings also seem to have a longer lifespan than regular Slinkys (probably 3 times longer) before they begin to sound distorted.
Overall the cobalt strings are good strings and they deliver awesome tone for playing metal. They are better than the regular Slinkys, very durable and stay in tune even after just putting them on. These strings would be a good call to test out.
Ernie Ball Slinky electric guitar strings have been the favorite of musicians across the world for over 50 years. The strings’ unique recipe consists of specific gauges and core to wrap ratios for well-balanced harmonics and that unique Slinky feel. The gauge combinations are industry standard, helping shape the sound of metal and rock.
For a uniform tone that will work for all types of guitar and playing technique, the strings are made of steel (nickel-plated) that are placed around a tin-plated, carbon steel core. They produce some very clean sounds and are easier to bend.
Not a defective product or a failing of any kind. There is less tension on the high end. The bottom three strings are the ones that suffer most from a very light gauge But overall, they are really great strings in the power format. These strings can take a pretty good beating without sounding harsh. They give a stronger rounder tone.
I would recommend these to a player who likes to play heavy rhythm and then plays the lead.
1. D’Addario EJ16-10P Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings
This string is known for its bright, warm and well balanced acoustic tone. It is crafted in the United States of America. This phosphor Bronze precision wound strings are corrosion resistant and carefully drawn. They are hexagonally shaped with a high carbon steel core. This results in a long-lasting, clear sounding tone with great intonation.
They deliver the traditional textured feel most players are comfortable and familiar with, all thanks to the round wound construction. They also provide the ideal balance of projection, volume and comfortable play.
D’Addario Phosphor Bronze strings have a reputation for unrivaled consistency and quality. The packaging provides protection from corrosion and reduces waste. When properly struck, they produce an arm balanced sound. When you pluck or strum, it produces the most expressive and sensitive tone that brings out the very best in your guitars.
They also come in Medium gauge and Heavy gauge. The heavy gauge brings out more bass, although is a bit hard on the fret fingers. These strings sound better for solos, but not quite as warm for accompaniment/rhythm.
Overall, they are very decent for the price.
- Includes 3 individually wrapped sets
- Recipes and popular gauges created by industry icon Ernie Ball
- Played by legends around the world including Slash, Jimmy Page, Metallica, Eric Clapton, and more. . .
- Element Shield packaging prolongs string life and keeps strings as fresh as the day they were made
- Made in California, USA, featuring the finest and freshest materials.
- High-voltage Dime Bag Darrell - nickel plated electric Guitar strings: Medium to heavy 10-52
- Signature strings played by the late metal icon Dime Bag Darrell
- Feature a hexagonal core wire and nickel-plated steel wrap wire treated with string life, a molecular bonding liquid polymer that protects them from corrosive elements
- As Darrell used to say, “they’re great for everything, from big OL’ string bends, to huge whammy bar dives, perfect for blood curdling harmonic screams and just straight out heavy Chunky riffin’.”
- 10, 13, 17, 30, 44, 52
- PLAY FEARLESSLY –D’Addario’s NYXL Nickel Plated Electric Guitar Strings feature a newly engineered, break-resistant, high-carbon steel core and plain steel alloy that gives you a whole new level of freedom, confidence and power in your playing. These strings can keep up with your whammy bar dives and bends.
- STAY IN TUNE – With NYXL’s improved tuning stability compared to traditional nickel wound strings, you can get in tune faster and stay in tune better. The corrosion resistant packaging keeps your extra string sets fresh.
- CUT THROUGH THE MIX – NYXL nickel plated wound strings feature an enhanced mid-range frequency response in the 1 - 3.5 kHz range which gives you more presence and crunch to cut through the mix.
- STRING GAUGES – NYXL1152 offers an ideal combination of comfortable playability and ideal electric tone: Plain Steel .011, .014, .018, Nickel Wound .030, .042, .052.
- MADE IN THE USA – D’Addario leverages centuries of string-making experience and advanced computer-controlled winding technology to bring you the most durable, consistent and long-lasting guitar strings. Made in the USA for the highest quality and performance, only D’Addario strings are sealed inside and out.
- Suitable for Fender ST, SQ series and most electric guitars.
- Made of high quality and durable metal material.
- Retain the string to reduce the string friction,and keep more accurate tuning.
- Color:Black .Easy to install with color matching screws and spacers.
- Package included:2 Set of String Retainer.